Sunday, January 8, 2012

What is MOMTASTIC?

Ok...here we go!  MOMTASTIC...to be a working mom outside the home that can juggle raising kiddos, keeping house, working, school work, daycare, extra activities, memory making moments, life, breathe, be an amazing wife, fabulous mother, disciplinarian, housekeeper, cook, clean, organize, did I say breathe?, rest, be a friend, sister, daughter and...well, I am sure you can fill in what I have missed!  And be successful juggling it all!  Ha!  Juggling it all, successfully?  I have not found that to be working for me thus far but I am learning to give & take and know that my choices have to be what is best for me and my family, not necessarily the best for everyone else and to be ok with that. 

Here is the start of my journey to be MOMTASTIC:

On September 28, 1991 I married Vernon Gabel, the love of my life, the one I know God had already chosen for me!  I was 19 & he was 22.  It was a beautiful wedding & we were thrilled to get started with our life as Mr. & Mrs. Gabel.  We had always talked about having children & knew I would be a working Mom when that time came.  After three unsuccessful pregnancies our time finally came on Sept. 7, 2005 when our miracle baby was born: Alison Janel Gabel 6lbs 9oz 18" long!  Did you do the math?  Yes...almost 14 years later, we were blessed beyond measure! What a gift...life...a little person blessed by God and sent to us to raise in a world of what now seemed new!  This is were my MOMTASTIC journey began!

I was a commuting Mom with a newborn from Portland to Salem, Salem to Portland and on those days when I felt too tired, we lived with my Mom & Step-dad while Vernon stayed in Portland.  This went on for about 3 1/2 yrs but we made it work. 

Then in April of 2008 I started working in Portland. Oh Yes!  No more commuting!  More time in the day to figure out what to do with!!  It was amazing but what happened next was even more amazing...One month into my new job guess who found out she was pregnant!  Yep, that is right ME!  Really, again?!?!  I was in shock & we didn't tell anyone outside our family until we were 3 months along, just to be safe, just in case we had another unsuccessful pregnancy.  But, we were successful!  By the "grace" of God we had another little miracle, a blessing on January 26, 2009: Isabella Grace Gabel, 6lbs 13oz, 20 1/2" long.  We were tickled pink!  Two beautiful girls!  Our blessings & miracles!  Wow...Oh Wow!   Now how was I ever going to achieve my goal to be MOMTASTIC? 

MOMTASTIC...a goal, a vision, a want, a need, an accomplishment, a support system, a what I need to help me get through my day.  The knowing that even though I might not be able to keep an clean house, folded laundry, toys that are put away night, a clean sink, a freshly made bed...that it is truly ok because being MOMTASTIC means seeing the smiles on your kiddos face, hearing the giggles that come during tickle-wars, full bellies of food that you have prepared for them, hearing them say "Daddy, Mommy, I love you to infinity & beyond!", the snuggle time, sweet whispers of sillies in your ear, and as you tuck them into bed, pray, sing their sweet lullaby song you get to kiss those precious babes, cry silent tears of unbelievable joy as you hear them start to drift asleep and you find yourself anxious for the next day of adventures to begin, even when you know the same tedious things wait for you tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. 

Well...I think I will pause here for tonight.  4 am comes all too soon!  How was your MOMTASTIC moments today?  Mine, well, in a word...priceless!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, such an amazing story Jamie! While I hope I don't have to wait 14 years for my first blessing, it's so cool to see how God has blessed you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I love your story and your goals. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Would love to hear more of your story someday!

    ReplyDelete